Sunday, January 20, 2008

vodka/monster, art and airplanes


mary jane's had an art opening last night at their main street store in park city. saturday night. during the first weekend of sundance. free bar. yeah.



erik otto. greg gossel. stella im hultberg. travis louie. joshua petker. oh it was good!



this was my first legit art show. these were names i've seen gracing the pages in juxtapoz. artists whose work i rip out from the magazine and pin to my bedroom wall because i can barely afford a print. the small, local openings i've been to were never on this level. the whole night reminded me of being on an airplane for the first time.



when i was 5, i went to disneyland and my parents told the flight attendant it was my first time flying. they said my name over the loudspeaker, congratulating me on this accomplishment and gave me one of those wings pins. it was all very anti-climatic. i thought people might applaud or the pilot would invite me into the cockpit or i would at least get an extra pack of in-flight crackers. nothin except a handshake and a free souvenir. but it was the most exciting nothing i had received. very similar to losing my virginity.


i've learned to appreciate flying more now than when i was 5. it's more exciting than it was back then and there are always new questions that arise with every trip. like, 'why am i going to alaska for 2 weeks by myself?' 'is the plane going to be hijacked?' 'will my panties be sifted through by TSA?'



and just like that, my first big art opening was over. nothing spectacular, but it was everything i could have asked for. can't wait to do it again!

No comments: